Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Coronado Concerts in the Park - Impostors

Hello Again. Neil Diamond tribute artist, David Sherry, returned to Coronado Concerts in the Park for another Hot August Night with his Diamond is Forever! The Neil Diamond Experience.  Spreckles Park was jam-packed for an evening of Beautiful Noise.

Our culinary theme, Impostors, challenged the group to prepare food that appeared to be something it was not. I'm a Believer in the creativity of our group. No Soggy Pretzels or Porcupine Pie, but we did have some dishes that went down easier with some Red, Red Wine...If You Know What I Mean.


I knew right away I wanted to re-create a salad of roasted beets, all dressed up like Ahi Poke. After tasting Chef Rossman's version a few months ago, at Where the Wild Things Are Food and Wine Classic, I thought The Time is Now.


Jeff Rossman is the chef/owner of Terra American Bistro, and he was kind enough to respond to my request for the recipe "I don't have a recipe, but all you have to do is roast a beet or two, dice it and, when you're ready, toss with a little sesame oil, sliced green onion, sambal (chili vinegar sauce), sesame seeds, soy sauce, and a touch of salt and pepper. Easy..."

And that's what I did - I also added a bit of seaweed salad to the mix (I used 2 parts soy to 1 part sesame oil for the dressing). Will I make this again? Yes I Will.


John, my man who is Forever in Blue Jeans, snapped this photo of me, looking like a Kentucky Woman, with Chef Impostors, Julie and Hillari.


Jack, with his One Good Love, Sandra, will never be a Solitary Man...as long as he doesn't wear his Neil Diamond shirt too often.


After deciding on my Beet Poke, The Last Thing on My Mind, was making a second dish. However, while getting a pedicure and flipping through Better Homes and Gardens, I came across this dish and couldn't resist. I Got the Feelin' John would love these Bacon Bar and Chorizo Stuffed Dates with Spicy Oaxaca Red Sauce. They may not have fit with the "impostor" theme, because I'm not sure what they appeared to be at first glance, but Lady-Oh. There's simply No Limit when it comes to chocolate.

The photo below is from Peace, Love and Chocolate, where you can also find the recipe.


And this is a photo of my Stuffed Dates.  See what I mean?  They could be small testicles wrapped in bacon...Come to think of it, Kai has been pushing for an Offal Challenge.


And the Singer Sings His Song...


You Don't Bring Me Flowers, Carmen, but you put me to Shame with these Coxinhas!  Coxinhas are Brazilian snacks, made with shredded chicken, spices, and Catupiry, a Brazilian creamy-style cheese, enclosed in batter, and deep-fried.  Coxinha literally means "little thigh"- and it is how chicken drumsticks are known in Brazil.  Sometimes, a toothpick is inserted where the bone would be, but Carmen took it to a more creative level with baby corn.  After a few of these, I was Dancing in the Street.


If I Lost My Way, I would want it to be lost in Carmen's broccoli forest!  On the outside, it appears to be a loaf cake.  Slice it open, and you'll see broccoli trees growing out cocoa-tinted soil into a savory sky of cake.  You can find the recipe for Broccoli Cake at Not Quite Nigella.


Just when we thought we might be Home Before Dark, Julie broke out her box of Ferrero Chocolates. But wait, intermingled with the chocolates were Salmon Cheesecake Truffles! Salmon from a recent fishing trip in Alaska...


Chris presented this stunning Pistachio Cake, which I'm pretty sure made Bradley Walk on Water.  It was actually wheels of Brie, frosted with Mascarpone.


Sweet Caroline!  We had Kai and Olivia's meatloaf and mashed potatoes masquerading as this Pretty in Pink Cake...



And Nina's Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Preserves, Whipped Cream and Mint, masquerading as Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes!



Ride, come on baby, ride
Let me make your dreams come true
I'll sing my song
Let me make it warm for you...



Can you hear it, babe
Can you hear it, babe
From another time
From another place
Do you remember it, babe...


It's a beautiful noise
Made of joy and of strife
Like a symphony played
By the passing parade
It's the music of life...

9 comments:

Roger said...

What you all created looks so good that you didn't Leave A Little Room for God.

Steph said...

Everything looks amazing and is so creative! Your post is also amazing and creative. So fun!

Carolyn Jung said...

What a gloriously fun time! And I must say that pistachio cake looks like it couldn't possibly hold one more nut. The way I love pistachios, I'd be all over that. ;)

Carmen said...

Beautiful photos again, Denise!

Steve said...

I'm ashamed to tell you what we brought to concert in the park. Your dishes sparkle as brightly as Neil's shirt - YUM!

Mayor Casey Tanaka said...

I must admit that the meatloaf and mashed potato cake intrigued me! I saw something akin to that on Dinner Impossible where Chef Robert Irvine had to cook similar dishes for magicians who insisted that their meal be full of those types of surprises :-)

Ashley said...

Very creative! I love the lyric and title inserts! Thank you for sharing.

Jim and Melinda said...

Wow! Sorry we had to miss the fun and creativity' and had to go to that Italian-themed party in Escondido. Next year, for sure, we're COMING TO AMERICA to be with you Dudes on Neil Diamond night! Jim and Melinda

KiddtheLizzy said...

Do you have a recipe for the "Nina's Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Preserves, Whipped Cream and Mint, masquerading as Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes!" that you are willing to share? I've been asked to make a cake to look like meatloaf for a co-worker's birthday & have an idea how to do it, but would rather know than to just wing it. I would greatly appreciate it :-)