Monday, December 17, 2012

Trapper's Table: Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits


It's my birthday today - I'm ONE year old!

It seems like only yesterday when I left my Newf mom and brother Paddington in Michigan and flew to San Diego. I'm so happy brother Nicholas came with me in that big scary airplane. When we arrived in San Diego, my new mom came up to see me and Nicholas. She didn't know which of us she would be able to take home, but I tugged at her heart strings and she fell hard for me.


When mom found out she could have me, I was so excited to come to my new home to Coronado. Dooley was there waiting for me. He was 13 years old and I'm fortunate to have been able to spend some quality time with such an awesome half-brother. He taught me a few things in those four months and I'm proud to carry on his gentle spirit.


I was kind of lonely when Dooley left us, but quickly made friends all over the island.
Just look at me - I was such an adorable pup. I attracted so much attention at Starbucks every morning, especially from cute little girls who came up to hug me all the time. They still do. 


 People always ask if they can take my picture and mom goes through the daily questions like how much I weigh, what breed, how much do I eat, and do I shed. And then there's those folks who point at me and call me a bear or, even worse, a St. Bernard or  Bouvier. Please! I just shake my head and let the drool fly.


Of course, during my first year, I did what most puppies do. I tore up a few plants and swallowed a few socks. I still seek out socks, but my latest trick is grabbing the dish towel off the counter and running through the house.


Mom buys me toys all the time, but I chew them up pretty fast.
For some reason, I just love having something in my mouth. My jolly ball is one toy I haven't been able to destroy and boy do I love that thing. You can see me in my jolly ball video on the blog's Facebook Page. 


This is my green duck. I actually still have him, but he's now the headless green duck.


 This used to be my favorite napping step, but then I got too big.


 This was my squirrel-cat. He was supposed to be indestructible.
I think he was almost $20. Bad kitty - he was history in less than 8 hours.


During the summer, I loved going out in the front yard for my watermelon snacks.
This photo won me "Pet of the Week" on the Embrace Pet Insurance Facebook Page.
After eating those three socks, mom decided to insure me.


I have not been to the vet in several months, so I'm not sure how much I weigh - I'm thinking at least 150 lbs. Mom feeds me well with a part raw diet of fish, turkey, lamb, veggies and fruit. I have my own Vitamix for blending all the veggies and fruit and we shop at Restaurant Depot for cases of fish and meat. I'm a growing boy!

Here's a fairly recent iPhone photo of me at Starbucks. Mom posted this one on Facebook and my Newf fans just went crazy. I have so many of my own Facebook fans it's ridiculous. Mom gets a few likes when she posts her food photos, but my likes skyrocket in comparison.


For my birthday, I got a new jar of Quackers duck jerky strips. Uncle Bradley surprised me with a bag of Nutter Butters at Starbucks this morning. Mom also made me these holiday dog treats featured in the American Kennel Club's December newsletter.

They're definitely blog-worthy, so I'm sharing them with you. Tell your mom to make you some!

This morning, on my birthday walk to Starbucks

Homemade Newf Treats all wrapped up for me!

They're made with whole wheat flour, pumpkin puree, peanut butter, eggs, and cinnamon! 


Simply whisk together the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another.



Combine the wet and dry in one bowl, knead it all together until a dough forms, roll it out, and use a dog bone-shaped cookie cutter to cut out about two dozen biscuits. 


Gather up the dough scraps, roll it out again, and cut more biscuits.


Bake for 40 minutes, allow to cool, and then sit like a handsome boy until you get one.


Happy Birthday to me!



Pumpkin Peanut Butter Biscuits
Courtesy of American Kennel Club
(Makes about 2 dozen biscuits)

2 1/2 cups whole wheat or barley flour
2 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Stir dry ingredients in medium bowl. In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin, and peanut butter. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and knead thoroughly. Dough should be dry and stiff (add small amounts of water as needed to make it workable.  If dough is too sticky, add small amounts of flour).

Roll dough into half-inch thickness and cut into half-inch pieces, using a knife or cookie cutter.

Bake about 40 minutes, or until hard and dry. Feed a couple to a slobbery Newf and store in an airtight container.




9 comments:

Mary Hirsch said...

This is wonderful, Denise. I loved every picture. Thank you for letting us celebrate also.

tricia s. said...

Love love love this post !!! Happy birthday to your little...ahem.....sweetie and thanks for sharing the recipe as well as all those drool worthy photos. He is stuning and the comments about his not fitting on the step any longer or the duck missing his head - priceless. Here's to a very happy Birthday !!

Denise said...

Mary and Tricia - Thank you so much for Trapper's birthday wishes! Loved exchanging Christmas cards with you and look forward to another year of FFwd! Happy Holidays!

Jan said...

Newfoundland dogs are so good around children. My brother had one that was part Newfoundland and part wolf. Sadly he got cancer and he had to be put to sleep. The night before I went to see him and even though the dog was hurting he got up to see me. Wishing Trapper a Happy Birthday and many more to come!

Terry O' said...

Happy Birthday Trapper. And Happy Holidays to you both.

Anonymous said...

So cute! Have you tried the antler bones(prairie bones) for your chewer? My little guys love them, and they last forever and clean their teeth! Loved your post of your cute Trapper!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the recipe and all the wonderful pictures . He is such a gorgeous boy!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday big boy!

I'm getting some jerky in the dehydrator for you today or tomorrow.

xo

Auntie Carmen

Anonymous said...

Our little shihtzu mix Millie loved these!